Every once in a while I do have something to write about that is more than just what we do on a weekly basis, so sorry grandparents; there will be no pictures on this post. :)
I’m going to tell you a little bit about what I’ve learned since I’ve become a mom.
I always think about how far that I’ve come as a Mother and how I also have so much more to learn! I remember being a first time mom…head spinning…overwhelmed…exhausted…doubtful…those are just a few emotions that I can recall during the first hazy month of Trey’s life. It took some time for me to slow down and be a joyful mom. I couldn’t have done it without God’s grace. Absolutely couldn’t.
Here are a few of the most important things that I’ve learned:
-Be Humble. This is so important. Women are brutal...in a passive agressive sort of way...haha. We think other moms are inferior to us, because they parent differently. Women rip apart other women on the epidural, breastfeeing, sleeping and cloth diapering topics. It's even done on public forums and it drives me crazy. No matter if you're up front about it or are being passive aggressive...it's wrong. I've been made fun of for some of my choices and I’m also guilty of thinking some of these things about other moms. I'm even guilty of venting about them when I first became a mom...something that I’m not proud of, but thankfully I've learned from my mistakes. I have been amazed at how ridiculous women can be. I can’t get over how people can be ok with telling another mom that they are bad parents. Keep your thoughts to yourself…and please get over yourself. Whew. That was a rant. :)
-Be helpful, but not judgmental. There is a right and wrong way to offer advice. First, don’t give it unless they ask. Second, be kind when you give it.
-Never say never. I have said that I would never cloth diaper. I would never drive a minivan. I would never nurse all of the way until a year. Look at me now. Haha. This is an important one folks. Go where life takes you. :)
-Educate yourself. Read books. Talk to your doctor. Ask family and friends for advice. These are all incredibly helpful, but always go with your gut. Your mother’s intuition is a powerful tool.
-Lead by example. Set boundaries. Kids not only need them, but they live for them. You want your kids to be kind and to say please and thank you? Then you better do these things also. You want them to know God? Then you better know him too.
-Be joyful. Have fun. Laugh. Wrestle. Run around with a cape on. Jump on the bed. Let them be kids. This is the best part of being a mom. :)
-Make sure that they get enough rest. Let them nap. Put them to bed early. It’s so good for them and for you. Adjust your life to fit their needs, but be flexible. Be sure that you get enough rest as well. You definitely need it!
-Push through the bad moments. I used to allow myself to get easily flustered…easily annoyed when Trey was being a turd. I’ve been working a lot on pausing and getting down to his level…really digging for the source of the bad behavior. Don’t get me wrong. He still gets to experience time outs and I still get flustered (OFTEN!), but I’m working on diffusing the problem before it gets to that level. It’s just one moment. Don’t let it ruin your day. Pausing with prayer can do amazing things. Oh and coffee. :)
-You can’t say I love you or kiss them enough. Always be excited when your child enters a room…I heard this right after I had Trey and it’s something that has always resonated with me.
-Be kind people. Be supportive to other moms. Be happy for them. No one is perfect. No one does it right, but everyone should do it THEIR own way.
Most importantly!!! Kids grow up fast...way too fast and we will always have something to learn from them. Be open. Be joyful. Be intentional. Use grace. Not every day will be perfect for we were not made to be perfect beings. Soak these little people up…I know that I will miss my little hooligans once they go off to school…I’m already dreading the day.
Love it! I think you're eloquent, wise and wonderful!! You're a great mom AND inspiration :-)
ReplyDeleteI just had one of those days... :) Love you sweet friend!
ReplyDelete