
I just finished reading, “One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are” by Ann Voskamp. This is a wonderful read if you’re like me and sometimes struggle with finding the joy in every situation. Ann starts off the book with the story of losing her sister at a young age and how her mom had a difficult time recovering from the loss and was placed in a psychiatric ward. “They say memory jolts awake with trauma’s electricity. That would be the year I turned four. The year when blood pooled and my sister died and I, all of us, snapped shut to grace. How could anyone find grace from this tragedy? Ann discusses how and much more in this beautiful book.
Ann’s writing is graceful and she makes taking out the trash seem like the best thing on earth. In this book, she writes down one thousand things that she’s thankful for. They’re as big as her children to as small as soap in the sink. Her writing captivates you and makes you want to make a mess just so that you can look at each object and truly appreciate it. Ann writes, “Eucharisteo, thanksgiving, envelopes the Greek word for grace, charis. But it also holds its derivative, the Greek word for chara, meaning “joy.” “I loved that she wrote about how we’re all trying to reach the same goal….JOY. This is the basis of the book, how to be thankful and find the joy in every situation.
I walked away from this book with a more thankful heart and the ability to find the joy in my day to day tasks. I find myself losing my cool sometimes with Trey, especially when I know that he knows better. For example, he throws his cars across the room. Not at anyone, but just throws them for fun. We have sat in timeout numerous times for this, so why does he continue to do it? How is that joyful situation? Ann talks about freezing in the moment…opening up your palms to God…being thankful. My son is here. He is right in front of me and he’s healthy. This doesn’t mean that he doesn’t sit his cute tush in timeout, but it helps me to not completely lose my mind. Dirty dishes are piling up, my house is a wreck….I have a roof over my head. My babies have full tummies and my husband is able to provide for us. I can stop, relax and appreciate the gifts that God has blessed me with more so after reading this book.
The book also discusses how giving joy to others is how to have true happiness. I love where she writes, “He gives us gifts to serve the world.” This part reminded me that I need share my gifts with others. I am beyond blessed and have a hard time with seeing outside my little safe family bubble. Sure, I pray for people when they’re in down or in need and I offer them words of comfort, but I know that I’m capable of doing so much more. I can give my time, energy and love. Her book truly shows the joy of helping other people in need. “Christian hands never clasp and He doesn’t give gifts for gain because a gift can never stop being a gift---it is always meant to be given.”
She talks about expectations. I struggle with this. I’m hard on myself. As a stay at home mom I feel like my house should be spotless. My children should be perfectly behaved and that I should have an amazing meal for my family every night. These expectations have made me miss out on sweet moments in the past with Trey...have robbed me of joy. Of course I still clean my house and feed my family, but I do it my way. Not the way I’ve seen on TV or online, but the way that feels right. I’m attempting to live in the moment. To stop what I’m doing and laugh with Trey, wrestle on the ground or have a sweet dance party. Who cares if my laundry is in a heap? I’ve learned that it gets done, but that I don’t have to stress out about it. I’m thankful for these sweet moments that God has granted me. I’m so much more at peace and not so anxious about everything. I find myself at peace even when Brohdy wakes up in the middle of the night. I snuggle him closer instead of thinking about how tired I will be the next day. This book just makes you look at life in a little sweeter way and helps you to truly appreciate God’s Grace. To be thankful everyday…for every moment. It’s pretty awesome. Here’s my favorite part of the book:
“My mama, valley wise and grief traveled, she always said, “Expectations kill relationships.” And I’ve known expectations as a disease, silent killer heaping her burdens on the shoulders of a relationship until a soul bursts a pulmonary and dies. Expectations kill relationships ---- especially with God. And that’s what a child doesn’t have: this whole edifice of expectation. Without expectations, what can topple the surprising wonder of the moment? "
There's so much more to this book, but I don't want to give it all away. This read will captivate you and hopefully help you to be more thankful and to understand God’s plan for you. Pick it up…read it and let me know if you look at doing the dishes in a whole different light! :)
Comments
Post a Comment