I've had this post in my head for some time now. I wanted to talk a little about how it's been going with three kids....or better yet, how I'm surviving with three kids.
I was on cloud nine for most of B's infancy. Going to the store with two kids? No problem. I hate to say it, but it was easy for me. I was ready for more babies. It helped that B was the most laid back baby. I mean he didn't even bother crawling until he was almost ten months, walking until after a year, and the kid didn't even sprout teeth until I weaned him after a year. He was happy and content. Then he turned two.....my, oh, my did he ever paid me back for those easy first two years. Did I mention that Ruthie was conceived before Brohdy turned two? :) Though, he has mellowed out so much and he melts me every single day with that cute little face of his. I am so thankful for that stinker.
Back to my point. I was ready for three. I figured...what's one more? What I forgot was that Trey wasn't in school at the time that Brohdy was born...he was also fully potty trained and tried super hard to be a good boy. The first two months of Ruthie's life were not easy. I was so in love with that precious girl, so it compensated for my lack of sleep...our busy days....for the most part. I felt overwhelmed A LOT her first month of life. I had a couple of days where I cried, because the boys just wouldn't listen to me...Ruthie wouldn't nap....there were some rough and ugly days. One thing that got me through those tough days was that I knew that she would sleep eventually...that this time would pass and life would settle down. I turned to God often. I cried for mercy and I begged for forgivness when I was quick to anger with the boys. I asked the boys for forgiveness often and reminded them that life would settle down....and it has.
I've learned that it's like running a marathon to get out of the house with three kids. School days were CRAZY. Just plain crazy, but we made it work. Going to the store was crazy and is still crazy most days. Getting ready to go for a walk or run takes longer than the actual excersise....but I do feel awesome when we achieve these daily tasks. I know that God won't put anything in front me that I can't handle. We just live life and smile at people when they say, "Wow, you have your hands full." I get told that even if my kids are behaving. I just want to say, "That's right and look at how well behaved they are." But I don't. Ha. I know that my heart is fuller than my hands. That's all that matters.
Life has calmed down, but we sitll have crazy days. That's life. We just make it work and being a family of five feels more normal every single day. God didn't intend for life to be easy. When you're in the trenches of life is when you truly learn about grace. Most days I'm brought to tears when I think about my family. I praise Jesus for this crazy and chaotic life that He has blessed me with.
I try to be slow to anger and remind myself that this time is short with my kids still needing me. I'm going to miss it so much when Trey stops asking me to carry him to bed. I'll even miss the 100000000 questions that he asks me every day.
"She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue
I have had to lean on the Lord every day.
I have had to become and even stronger team with Jason. We don't see eye to eye every day, but we have to rely on each for help. I'm so thankful that he's such an involved dad. I don't know what I'd do without him.
I have had to accept that I will not accomplish as much as I feel "I should" most days.
I have had to relax more when it comes to housework. It will get done. Just maybe not when I would like it to.
I've learned to take the time to snuggle and just love on my baby girl. I know that time is fleeting. This has been a really hard reality for me.
My family comes first. Before anyone else. I had to take a step back from volunteering at the pregnancy center. I just knew that I would be stressed and it would effect my kids. That was hard for me. I like to help out and I enjoyed those girls, but my babies come first. They are my ministry right now.
I was on cloud nine for most of B's infancy. Going to the store with two kids? No problem. I hate to say it, but it was easy for me. I was ready for more babies. It helped that B was the most laid back baby. I mean he didn't even bother crawling until he was almost ten months, walking until after a year, and the kid didn't even sprout teeth until I weaned him after a year. He was happy and content. Then he turned two.....my, oh, my did he ever paid me back for those easy first two years. Did I mention that Ruthie was conceived before Brohdy turned two? :) Though, he has mellowed out so much and he melts me every single day with that cute little face of his. I am so thankful for that stinker.
Back to my point. I was ready for three. I figured...what's one more? What I forgot was that Trey wasn't in school at the time that Brohdy was born...he was also fully potty trained and tried super hard to be a good boy. The first two months of Ruthie's life were not easy. I was so in love with that precious girl, so it compensated for my lack of sleep...our busy days....for the most part. I felt overwhelmed A LOT her first month of life. I had a couple of days where I cried, because the boys just wouldn't listen to me...Ruthie wouldn't nap....there were some rough and ugly days. One thing that got me through those tough days was that I knew that she would sleep eventually...that this time would pass and life would settle down. I turned to God often. I cried for mercy and I begged for forgivness when I was quick to anger with the boys. I asked the boys for forgiveness often and reminded them that life would settle down....and it has.
I've learned that it's like running a marathon to get out of the house with three kids. School days were CRAZY. Just plain crazy, but we made it work. Going to the store was crazy and is still crazy most days. Getting ready to go for a walk or run takes longer than the actual excersise....but I do feel awesome when we achieve these daily tasks. I know that God won't put anything in front me that I can't handle. We just live life and smile at people when they say, "Wow, you have your hands full." I get told that even if my kids are behaving. I just want to say, "That's right and look at how well behaved they are." But I don't. Ha. I know that my heart is fuller than my hands. That's all that matters.
Life has calmed down, but we sitll have crazy days. That's life. We just make it work and being a family of five feels more normal every single day. God didn't intend for life to be easy. When you're in the trenches of life is when you truly learn about grace. Most days I'm brought to tears when I think about my family. I praise Jesus for this crazy and chaotic life that He has blessed me with.
I try to be slow to anger and remind myself that this time is short with my kids still needing me. I'm going to miss it so much when Trey stops asking me to carry him to bed. I'll even miss the 100000000 questions that he asks me every day.
Proverbs 31
"She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue
She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness."
and does not eat the bread of idleness."
{Proverbs 31: 26-27}
Here are a few things that I've learned from having three kids.
I have had to lean on the Lord every day.
I have had to become and even stronger team with Jason. We don't see eye to eye every day, but we have to rely on each for help. I'm so thankful that he's such an involved dad. I don't know what I'd do without him.
I have to ask for help more, which is hard, so hard for me to do. I like to try and do it all, but that's all my ego talking. This has been a hard one for me, but thankfully I have a wonderful mom and mother n law who just offer....they know me well. :)
I have had to accept that I will not accomplish as much as I feel "I should" most days.
I have had to relax more when it comes to housework. It will get done. Just maybe not when I would like it to.
I've learned to take the time to snuggle and just love on my baby girl. I know that time is fleeting. This has been a really hard reality for me.
My family comes first. Before anyone else. I had to take a step back from volunteering at the pregnancy center. I just knew that I would be stressed and it would effect my kids. That was hard for me. I like to help out and I enjoyed those girls, but my babies come first. They are my ministry right now.
Some days are going to hard, but most days are going to be awesome. I'll feel like mom of the year one moment and then I'll feel like the worst mom in the world the next. Those moments keep me humbled.
Worship music is good for the soul. Trust me.
One bad moment doesn't have to ruin our day. I may snap, but thankfully my kids forgive me when I ask for it and we can turn the day around.
One bad moment doesn't have to ruin our day. I may snap, but thankfully my kids forgive me when I ask for it and we can turn the day around.
I need to seek God every single day. Every single moment.
I might look exhausted and seem overwhelmed most days. I'm also pretty sure that half of brain is still at the hospital when I had Ruthie. But, my heart is so full. We have so much fun. I have so much joy. These sweet babies are my precious gift from God and I cherish them so much. God will never leave my side.
I'll leave you with this from the lovely Ann Voskamp:
" If you don’t fight for joy, it’s your children who lose.











Comments
Post a Comment