Ruthie's Birth Story

Ruthie's birth story begins on her actual due date. What a sweet, little miss to be right on time. :) It actually kind of begins the evening before. I was having a lot of stretching pains and I remember telling Jason that it felt different than the usual ones. I still didn't think anything of it and went to bed. I woke up right before 6, because I had to use the potty again. I got up fully intending to pace around the house, because I had my 40 week appointment that day and I was hoping that it would maybe get things going since I knew that my doctor would strip my membranes once again. Anyways, I walked to the living room and I felt a trickle down my leg. I felt so much excitement, because I figured that my water had broken. I went and woke Jason up and told him what had happened and at that point more water was coming. I called my mom...who was already in the shower getting ready for work, so I was able to tell my dad, "That it was time." I took a shower myself....got organized and was even able to kiss Trey goodbye.

We got to the hospital after 7 AM...and one of my greatest friends, Nicole was on. She usually only works once a week, so I knew that God had this day picked out for Ruthie's arrival. They checked me and I was at a 6. I went into this pregnancy hoping and praying that I wouldn't need an epidural, so I was so excited to have gone into labor on my own at this point. I busted out my IPOD with worship music...and maybe a few Bruno Mars songs... :)...and I started to walk in my room. I alternated between the exercise ball and walking. I began praying and and trying to focus on my music and movements. As my labor progressed, so did the pain in my back, but it was doable. Jason was very hands on this labor and would apply a heating pad and pressure to my back that my sweet friend, Nic supplied. See, she's the best. :)

At this point my doctor said that she expected this baby to be here by one. Whew. This made me think that I could get there! I could do it if I only had to have the pain for that long. In between contractions I was still able to talk and laugh and I would just focus on my breathing during each contraction. I tried not to focus on the length of each or one the distance between at this point.

Moving on... my doctor checked me again....I'm assuming around ten...at this point I was in the transitional period and I started to lose my focus a bit. I was to a 9, but had some cervix left. We were going to try and push through it with the help of my doctor, but I'm not going to lie...that was the worst part of my whole labor. My doctor let me rest until I felt ready to push. At this point I just closed my eyes and rocked my body and tried to breathe. They had me switch positions and rock and that did the trick.  A few pushes later....my sweet, chubby, and beautiful girl came into this world. She was perfect! It was such a surreal moment and I don't think think that I could put that moment into words if I tried.

I had quite a bit of extra bleeding after labor, but thankfully I had an amazing nurse who was on top of it and gave me a shot of something...haha...she told me, but I forgot...and started pitocin to help stop it. I felt fine and thankfully that did the trick. :) I'm so thankful for Jason ( who was a rock star heat pad holder and coach), doctor and nurses. I was such a blessed mama that day to be surrounded by these people!

My family came in soon after Ruthie's birth and the boys were able to meet their baby sister. Ahh...it was such a sweet moment!

I still can't wrap my mind around Ruthie's birth day and God's perfect timing. I can't believe that I have my two boys and little girl. A little girl named after three amazing woman. She is so loved and has brought so much joy into our home. She's a great eater (she was passed her birth weight yesterday at 5 days old) and is becoming a great sleeper. She truly is our gift from God. I never knew that my heart could feel this full. I find myself to become overwhelmed with gratitude towards God's faithfulness.

Welcome, sweet, Ruthie!!

Right before the pushing!






















We rounded up to 9lbs. :)






















Comments