I Have A Plan For You

I know that we have all done it. You read or watch a story so compelling that it completely takes your breath away. I came across a blog the other day that literally knocked the wind out of me. Seriously. I was so overwhelmed with grief and love for this family that I’ve never even met that I could barely breathe. Blame it on my pregnancy hormones, but I’m pretty sure it has a lot to do with the fact that I’m a mom.

I won’t go into too much detail on the story, but this wonderful family lost their daughter suddenly at the mere age of 11 months old. I can’t even begin to imagine what shock and grief that they endured and still are working through. Thankfully, they have Faith in our Lord and are doing some amazing things in their sweet daughter’s honor.

This sweet family’s blog brought up so many emotions for me. I crumble at the thought of not having my sweet little boy in my life. I truly believe that parents live in fear each day of their child’s existence. The fear of losing your child is overwhelming. You can choose to let it consume your life or you can choose to trust our God. I choose the latter. This doesn’t mean that I don’t worry about Trey or get sick at the thought of not having him part of my every day, but I know that my God’s plan is grand and that he will take care of me and my family no matter what.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. - Jeremiah 29:11

I have experienced the loss of a child, though not as deeply as a mother who has already held their baby, loved, and named them. I believe that a baby is alive at the time of conception, so yes, I have lost a child. My son or daughter would have been two this January 25Th. Psalm 34:18 states: “The Lord is near the brokenhearted and saves those whose are crushed in spirit.” I was so brokenhearted at the time, but He showed me how to reach for Him at every turn. He proved himself to be there to comfort me and to give me hope for my future. Almost a year after our loss, our sweet baby boy Treyton was born. What proof of our Lord’s faithfulness! We are now pregnant with number two and I feel overwhelmed by God’s love and grace.

I still think of our first child often and wonder who he or she would look like. What my life would be like with them in it. I can never say that I’m thankful to have lost our baby, but I am glad to know that our baby will never have to know suffering here on this earth. They are in the arms of our Father and I can’t imagine a better place for our sweet child. We know that our first child will one day meet us face to face and will have the pleasure of meeting their little brother and future sibling. That thought warms my heart every day. My loss has turned into strength in my life and as crazy as it sounds I consider it a privilege that I get to serve God in the matter He has seen fit for my life.

The point of this post is that I came across this sweet woman’s blog on the perfect day. I was exhausted from chasing my little guy around during our shopping trip since this smart mama forgot his stroller. There was a new episode of, “Four Weddings” on during Trey’s bedtime routine and all I wanted to do was sit on my pregnant butt and enjoy it. You see, Treyton has the best daddy in the world and he gives him his nightly baths. I then come in at the end and help dress Trey, say our nightly blessing and sing two rounds of, “You’re My Sunshine” to him, kiss him, tell him that I love him and lay him down. Well, this night I decided to let Jason do my side of the routine as well as his since I was tired. I sat on my pregnant butt and watched my show, missing one of my most precious times with Trey, because I felt that I deserved to rest. After my show I came across this blog and like I had stated before, the wind was knocked out of me. I went into Trey’s room, picked up my sleeping son and said his blessing and sang two rounds of, “You are my Sunshine” and just held him. I prayed hard that night that I never take advantage of the fact that I have a healthy sweet boy to hug and kiss every day and that I never let my laziness ever interfere with precious moments.

I am blessed. I know this and thank God for this every day, but I know that I can do better. It just unfortunately sometimes takes someone else grief to open up our eyes to our beautiful blessings.

God bless any parent that has to endure the loss of their child. I pray that they have the comfort of God's love in their lives.
“Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him.” The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him;
Lamentations 3:22-25


Comments